Sunday 2 June 2013

Fwd: #2 Monday 3 June 2013



The second stop on our day trip was the Nansha Wetlands Park, another 60 km. south,
We passed more vegetable and fish farms on our route to this park, which is located
where the Pearl River and the ocean water meet.  

This wetlands park is a good example of the many tourist sites that the country
has recently developed.  They are always very well designed and built.

Our group took a pleasant boat ride through the wetlands, which reminded me
of the Florida everglades, even though I have never been there. The mangrove trees
were especially interesting, as were the snow-white egrets (birds) that winter there en route
from Siberia and Australia.  This is a bird watcher's paradise.

Then our group biked around the park.  This was the first time I have been nervous in China.
First, the bike was difficult to steer.  But mainly, I was nervous cycling with so many people all
around me.  It was a crash waiting to happen, so I cut the fun short.  As I thought about it, I realized
that I am not a great cyclist, but mainly, the number of people on the road simply made me frightened.
Then I thought, "I have only ever cycled on a country, prairie road, and by myself, never in a city."
There was a cultural disconnect happening here.

Next to the park was a fish market, since the place is next to the fishing piers.  The variety of fish was
amazing, and not all looked delicious, but some of the office girls vouched for it.  

No comments: