Sunday 16 September 2012

Monday, September 17, 2012

Hello,

Today we passed a huge hurdle. We taught our first classes and we were both very satisfied and happy.
The warning was that the students would not speak at all and it would seem unsuccessful. Our classes were quite
talkative, but honestly it was difficult to understand everything (or almost anything) they were trying to say. Don and I both
had oral classes with our Phd students and they were serious about learning and very respectful. It was a pleasure. I learned the two-handed way to receive
their papers when given to me, with them always using both hands to hand papers in. We were just plain relieved and happy that
things went as planned. The students seemed interested in us and a few may have thought we were oddities, but all were very
welcoming.
Here is a funny one about Grandpa Wood. He will love this!
I was showing some family pictures and showed one from the birthday party in June.
I said this was my father at his birthday party. I asked, "How old do you think he is?"
Someone said sixty, and I replied, "I'm sixty!" They amended it to eighty. It was fun.
No one thought that it was his 90th birthday party.
Here is a picture of Grandpa with Chad, taken the day of Mark Ellingson's funeral.

Must go. The washing machine on the balcony is bouncing around and making a terrible noise.

Love to all,
MOM/ Kathy

4 comments:

-Annie V- said...

what a relief! i bet you and dad are SO HAPPY to have that first class under your belts!

congratulations! (mom, this is a comment on your blog)

wendy said...

it will be fun to read of these experiences you guys are having.
Holy crap...I turned 61 a week ago

Anne Baines said...

Hi Kathy, They closed down blogger when we were in China and we had to use a proxy server to post, but we could see what we posted using a proxy server.

gdad said...

Hi Wrights.You are making me home sick for China. It is enjoyable looking at your blog. I'll follow it with interest.
Zai jian

Bob Baines